YOSC SOCIAL PROGRAMME
All of our Social Events will take place in the Sandhurst Social Club,
33/35 Wellington Road, Sandhurst, GU47 9AW unless otherwise stated.
CLICK HERE for a map and more details of this location.
1 - All YOSC Members and their guests visiting Sandhurst Social Club are required to SIGN IN on the sheet provided. Failure to do so may result in delays to the start of our events.
2 - Please ensure your mobile phones are turned OFF during the talks.
The 2018 Social Programme:
Pam our new Social Secretary jointly with Joan has arranged the Social Programme for 2018. The details are shown below and will be amended here and in the Newsletters from time to time.
All Meetings are at Sandhurst Social Club and start at 20:00 unless otherwise stated.
- 8 January - Sailing in New England – a talk by Roger Shaw
- 5 February - Skittles Evening - including Fish & Chips or Chicken & Chips - CLICK HERE for more details
NOTE: Food will be served at 8:15 pm so a prompt arrival at 8:00 pm is recommended
- 5 March - Kilimanjaro – a talk by Graham Horn
- 9 April - Sail Setting - a talk by YOSC Member, Chris Wright
- 14 May- Alaska Adventure – a talk by Major Paul Whittle
- 4 June - Lest We Forget – a talk by YOSC Member, Donal McDonnell about a tour of the WWI battlefields of Flanders and the Somme and the issues that led up to the war.
- 16 July - Yacht Safety - this talk will now be presented by Jim Crick assisted by his colleague, Simon Dalton. Bring your lifejackets with you and the team will demonstrate some “hands on” care and maintenance procedures.
- 6 August - Barbecue at Blackwater Valley Golf Centre GU46 7SZ - CLICK HERE for more details.
- 3 September - Secrets of the Solent — a talk by a Tim Ferrers of the Hampshire and Isle of Wight Wildlife Trust
- 1 October - CHANGE - Solent Coastguard’s Operations - a talk by Tristam Newey
- 5 November - 27th Annual General Meeting
- 3 December - Christmas Party
The 2017 Social Programme:
Joan arranged a very interesting Social Programme for 2017. In case you have forgotten - here is a brief summary of the events:
2 January - China - Beyond the Great Wall - a talk by Paul Whittle taking a unusual look behind the scenes of modern-day China
6 February - a talk entitled “Mr & Mrs B go to sea” about the adventures of YOSC Members Adam and Lynne Bispham.
20 February - Skittles Evening at SSC including Fish & Chips or Chicken & Chips
6 March - The History and Restoration of the Kennet & Avon Canal - a talk by Graham Horn, Secretary of the Reading branch of the Canal Trust.
3 April - Lakes, Hills and Daffodils — the English Lake District. A return visit by David Hunt who will describe some of his favourite locations discovered during his numerous visits to this National Park
8 May - Broadmoor Revealed: the Victorian Asylum. — a talk by Mark Stevens, County Archivist for Berkshire and author of ‘Broadmoor Revealed’, talks about the early years of the famous hospital.
5 June - The Bombing of Darwin — a talk by Malcolm Nelson about the events of 19 February 1942 during World War II, when 242 Japanese aircraft attacked the harbour and airfields of Darwin
17 July - Portsmouth and Southampton – a Maritime Contrast — a return visit from Blue Badge Guide, Graham Horn with a talk about these two maritime cities with very different histories, military Portsmouth and mercantile Southampton.
14 August - Barbecue at Blackwater Valley Golf Centre GU46 7SZ
4 September - Memories of a Cruise to Scotland —a talk by YOSC Member, Brian Pickles
2 October - Fire and Gas Safety on Yachts - YOSC Members, Ian Booker and Chris Wright will summarise related current and authority recommendations.
6 November - 26th Annual General Meeting at SSC.
Audio Visual Equipment at SSC
The Audio Visual equipment is the property of SSC and is available for the use of YOSC during their use of the Meeting Room but is only authorised for use by YOSC Committee Members.
PLEASE RETURN ALL EQUIPMENT TO THE YOSC AUDIO/VISUAL BOX AFTER USE
For further information and operation notes - click on one of the following links:
Quick Start Guide to the use of microphones and computers
Setup and Operation of the Audio Visual System
Contents of the Audio Visual Box
Last updated: 9 August 2018