YOSC SOCIAL PROGRAMME
All of our Social Events will take place in the Sandhurst Social Club,
33/35 Wellington Road, Sandhurst, GU47 9AW unless otherwise stated.
CLICK HERE for a map and more details of this location.
1 - All YOSC Members and their guests visiting Sandhurst Social Club are required to SIGN IN on the sheet provided. Failure to do so may result in delays to the start of our events.
2 - Please ensure your mobile phones are turned OFF during the talks.
The 2020 Social Programme:
Sara and Maggie have arranged a very interesting Social Programme for 2020 as shown below. Changes to the programme will be announced here and in the Newsletters from time to time.
All Meetings are at Sandhurst Social Club and start at 20:00 unless otherwise stated.
YOSC Social and Sailing Programmes 2020
The amended 2020 Sailing programme is now finished but unfortunateley we cannot meet socially as a club until the COVID-19 situation changes.
The proposed Sailing and Social programmes for 2021 will be announced at the AGM to be held on-line on Monday 9th November. See below for details for joining the AGM via ZOOM.
We are encouraging our Members to communicate with each other via the Monday night ZOOM meetings as noted below, via our Facebook Group (see About Us page for details) and by Email.
Sandhurst Social Club reopened on Monday 13th July and has been redecorated and thoroughly cleaned, both hard surfaces and soft furnishings so it is looking clean and bright. They are keen to welcome members back and this includes the members of YOSC. We know that many members have missed the informal gatherings on Monday evenings.
The measures being taken by SSC to remain open comply with official guidance, CLICK HERE for a summary of these measures.
Although SSC is now open subject to the restrictions noted above, we appreciate that some members will still be unable to attend. To accomodate these members, we will continue with the Zoom conference meetings on Monday evenings from 21:00 onwards hosted and moderated by Allun Proom and you are welcome to join as guests if you wish to do so.
You will need to install Zoom on your PC, laptop, tablet or phone - guidance notes may be viewed or downloaded from:
To participate in the 21:00 conference meeting, click "Join" and type in the meeting ID. Allun's Zoom ID can be found at the bottom of the Photo Gallery Page of the Members Section.
Once this has been completed and Allun has signed in, you should be linked to Allun and joined by all others attending the meeting.
Allun will be unable to host the Zoom meeting for a while so Alan Fisher has kindly agreed to act as host. His Zoom ID can be found at the bottom of the Photo Gallery Page of the Members Section.
Once this has been completed and Alan has signed in, you should be linked to Alan and joined by all others attending the meeting
Meeting ID: 839 6583 2891
The 2020 Updated Social Programme:
- 3 August - UPDATE - BBQ at Bistro 19, Blackwater Valley Golf Centre, Chandlers Lane, Yateley GU46 7SZ
Starting at 19:30 - tickets at £12 CLICK HERE for flyer with further details.
Bistro 19 has been restructured to comply with the current COVID-19 Regulations - CLICK HERE for photo
- 14 September - CANCELLED - Drones- what they are really about and why they are now an indispensable tool. Presented by YOSC Member, Andre Knight a certified drone pilot, instructor and examiner. It is hoped that Andre will present this talk sometime next year
- 5 October - CANCELLED - Nadia's Story. Nick Brazil returns to us this time with a talk about the building and launch of Iain Tolhurst’s yacht. CLICK HERE for a video of Nadia. It is hoped that Nick will present this talk sometime next year
- 9 November - UPDATE - Annual General Meeting - YOSC’s 29th AGM. CLICK HERE to view the current arrangements. Updates will be issed at intervals before the AGM - so: watch this space.
- 14 December - CANCELLED - Christmas Party - Unfortunateley, this will not be possible under the current Covid restrictions.
For reference ONLY, the original 2020 Social Programme is shown below:
- 20 January - The Yachtmaster Examination. YOSC Member, Peter Hart will talk about aspects of the Yachtmaser examination and the process of becoming an examiner.
- 3 February - Skittles Night.
- 2 March - A life of crime…prevention. Dave Stubbs, TVP Retd. Volunteer at Thames Valley Police Museum will talk about his experience of dealing with victims of crime.
- 6 April - Sustainable Boating for Cleaner, Healthier Waters. A talk by Kate Fortnam of The Green Blue, a joint environment initiative between the RYA and the British Marine.
- 4 May - The Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB). Roger Brydges returns to us to present the findings of the second investigation involving the 2017/2018 Clipper race and other cases.
- 1 June - Calshot, a place in time. Colin van Geffen will talk about Calshot Castle and the Spit from Saxon times to the present including its use by the armed forces in times of peace and war.
- 6 July - What Sailors should know about weather forecasts. Presented by Bill Taylor, a retired Met Office weather forcaster.
- 3 August - BBQ
- 14 September - Drones- what they are really about and why they are now an indispensable tool. Presented by YOSC Member, Andre Knight a certified drone pilot, instructor and examiner
- 5 October - Nadia's Story. Nick Brazil returns to us this time with a talk about the building and launch of Iain Tolhurst’s yacht.
- 9 November - Annual General Meeting - YOSC’s 29th AGM
- 14 December - Christmas Party
The 2019 Social Programme:
Sara and Maggie arranged a very interesting Social Programme for 2019 - here is the summary of events
- 7 January - Marine Accident Investigation Branch (MAIB) - Roger Brydges provided a behind-the-scenes look at the world of the UKJ Government’s MAIB with particular emphasis on matters pertaining to sailing and liesure craft
- 4 February - Skittles Evening at SSC
- 4 March - Isle of Wight, England in miniature – a talk by Blue Badge Guide, Graham Horn
- 1 April - Further Life on Charisma – a talk by YOSC Member, Adam Bispham who will bring us up to date with the further voyages that he and Lynne have made in Charisma
- 13 May - Maritime Archaeology in the 21st Century - a talk by Dr Julian Whitewright, Senior Teaching Fellow in Maritime Archaeology at Southampton University.
- 3 June - Stress Free Sailing – a talk by Duncan Wells.
- 15 July - A Balkan Railway Adventure - a talk by Nick Brazil about a round-trip rail journey from Pangbourne to Split via Munich, Ljubljana, and Vienna.
- 19 August - Barbecue at Blackwater Valley Golf Centre
- 16 September - HMS Endeavour - a talk by YOSC Member, Jim Fayers about Captain Cook’s ship and his voyages of discovery
- 7 October - Sailing in Brittany – a talk by YOSC Members Chris Wright/Brian Pickles.
- 4 November - 28th Annual General Meeting
- 9 December - Christmas Party
Audio Visual Equipment at SSC
The Audio Visual equipment is the property of SSC and is available for the use of YOSC during their use of the Meeting Room but is only authorised for use by YOSC Committee Members.
PLEASE RETURN ALL EQUIPMENT TO THE YOSC AUDIO/VISUAL BOX AFTER USE
Further information on the storage, security, contents, setup and operation of the Audio Visual equipment may be found on the
AV Equipment button of the Members Pages including:
- Setup and Operation of the Audio Visual System
- Settings for Stage Line PMX-162 Powered Mixer
- Contents of the Audio Visual Storage Boxes
- Combination lock code
- Combination Lock setting/resetting instructions
CLICK HERE to transfer to the AV Equipment Page
Last updated: 14 October 2020